We are a growing parish that re-started with three and now we are eleven and focused on growth as well as spreading the faith and love of Christ to the surrounding community. St. Luke’s Church is a mission church worshiping in the Anglo-Catholic tradition. We are Anglican because our tradition of prayer and worship is rooted in the Church of England and the Book of Common Prayer. We are Catholic because we believe and practice the universal or catholic faith of the church.
St. Luke’s was founded as Manchester Parish on the south bank of the James River across from what is now downtown Richmond in 1772 by Anglican colonists. It was one of the original members of the Episcopal Church when the latter was established in 1789. The church later became known as Meade Memorial and in the late 19th century changed names to St. Luke’s Episcopal, relocating to the corner of Cowardin and Bainbridge Avenues. St. Luke’s grew and flourished under the leadership of the Rev. Walter Hendricks in the 1940’s and 50’s, becoming well known throughout the region for its Music Ministry, Anglo-Catholic worship, and feverent stand for orthodox faith and doctrine as the national Church began to abandon that faith in order to incorporate the changing norms of secular society.
St. Luke’s chose to withdraw from the Episcopal Church over doctrinal issues in 1990 and joined the Episcopal Missionary Church. Because the parish existed before the formation of the Episcopal Church, it was able to retain its building and property rather than relinquish them to the Diocese of Southern Virginia. However, the cost of upkeep for the old building was high and the surrounding neighborhood continued to decline and was not very safe after dark. The property was sold in 1996 and St. Luke’s met in numerous locations after then. The current land in Manakin-Sabot was purchased from St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in 1998 and the present building was constructed and consecrated in 2000.
Because of a shortage of clergy, regular services were discontinued in 2009 and the parishioners began working in partnership with St. Athanasius Anglican Church in Glen Allen. St. Luke’s was reopened in June 2011 and in May 2012 joined the Forward in Faith North America Missionary Diocese of All Saints.